Thursday, May 29, 2014

My first post after almost 1 and a half years!


Actually I was not exactly a trader, I was successful as a market maker but when that business was over as I knew it around 2009, when the spreads became too tight to earn money, I thought I was good enough to earn my life as a trader.

Afterall in the past I was averaging 2.000 euros a day easily. Except in my last year when Van der Moolen filed for bankruptcy in 2009 ,as a team we didnt really had the motivation to earn more money for half a year thus that year doesnt count.(Even with half year of trading I made 160 K.)

So I calculated if I made 200 euros a day, I can make up for my salary and the rest  will be shared by me and M&M (Greetings to Ed and Patrick,Jarno ,Jordi ,Paul and Boris). No more giving the lions share of my profits to VDM.

Somehow I had to prove myself to the guys so it was difficult at the beginning and then I had a day when I made over 30K. My clearing sheet showed that I was up 100K for the year after 6-7 months.Things looked promising again.

However the rest of the 3 years I never saw 3 digits any more. And by 2012 I was hardly keeping the balance positive as my salary and software costs were taken directly from my account each month naturally.

 I invested many hours after trading trying to set up mechanical trading strategies.Day trading with signals etc. No. Did not work as good as I expected.

That was unacceptable for me. As far as I remember I have always got the results I wanted once I put the effort and this was the first time I could not.

It was the best time to take another opportunity where I can grow my skills in Finance Management.
I would be home after 10 years of abroad experience as a bonus.

Well now after 1 and a half years  of my career shift into Finance and Purchasing, I believe my 7 years of experience in real time trading should worth something.  I spent more than 10.000 hours in something I love, I still read about and follow the markets, so I m still in the game privately. Since 2012 I have been a stubborn bear(Although I dont like the way it is put, the saying "bulls and bears win but pigs get slaughtered" is thus proved) . So privately it cost me some money.

At the moment I have January 16 put options, around 50% down in Netflix, Apple,Starbucks,Caterpillar,United Tech,Visa. I expect at least one of them will come down significantly.I have very small short positions in Tesla and Bayer. I have only long 1 January 16 100%up call in Facebook.

I think I m out of sync with the market at the moment. But I will try to pick paper trades and follow them in the blog to see if I can get in sync. And maybe then I can try to become a part time trader at most.

I am watching apple to short around  680.

To rewrite about the market is more a hobby at the moment and I would like to see for the first time how trading on paper works before maybe getting in the markets with more real money.

Well why now again ? A recent conversation I had with my father and blog of "brilliant" James Altucher (www.jamesaltucher.com) I may say.

No comments:

Post a Comment